The Missionary

Once upon a time, you were called to this, “your” country. You came, saw and adjusted. While the strenuous life of “the field” came, saw and took over.

Food was not like home, but this new country being your new home, you adjusted to the new food – while folks “back home” continued sending the old food.
So, you had double.

You somehow grew bigger, which by times made you feel uncomfortable as you were ministering to people who did not. You needed the “double” strength, as the demands of the field were more than your old frame could bear.

And now you’re in the “squeaking and creaking” age, but you keep reassuring the congregation back home that you can just grin and bear it. But deep down, the cracks in your earthen vessel show up on the outside. And start bothering those who’ve sent and supported you throughout the years.
“Shouldn’t you get back home now?”, they ask, unaware that “this” country is now your home.
“Aren’t you becoming a risk?” the missionary health insurance asks, unaware of your prayers to have things work out.
“be careful, or you’ll end up like XYZZ, who had to leave the field” – to which you have no answer, as you cannot think of being more deserving to stay on the field than that other missionary.

Leaving the field, prematurely. “Missionary attrition” being the more official word.

You?
Really?

So, you pray. While you continue life as you know it. Eating things you know you shouldn’t, but somehow can’t find the courage for to let go. Plus, you need it and you’ve earned it with all the hardship you’ve been through.

Next, you pray for a miracle. To get rid of this Diabetes. Of the extra weight. Quite the mountain to move…

And then you see this meme about picking up a spade. Not because you “caused” the mountain, but just because you have everything it takes to pick up the spade and start removing the excess. 


Picking up the shovel, getting back in shape, being able to keep serving right where you were called to serve.
You?
Really?

From my own experience, I know how difficult this is to believe, let alone to do. I had to abort my job of helping others because my body couldn’t sustain the effort. I failed the people I was supposed to represent, I failed my colleagues and I failed the program financing the whole.
With type 2 Diabetes, cardiovascular issues, several surgeries because of tendinitis and a mountain of medication, I had quite a mountain in front of me. But I was fortunate to be handed a shovel and started to move. And step by step, or scoop by scoop, I could let go of the many pills and even the insulin shots, enjoying a normal life without diabetes medication and with blood sugar in the normal range.

Do you long for a future without Diabetes medication? I can testify from my own experience that it is possible, yes, even where you are serving.
I’ve adapted an existing program to “reverse” type 2 Diabetes, to the realities of the mission field – including Home Service!
The classes are online, so that you can follow along right where you are – on 4 continents thus far.

Send me an email to healthylifestylehaiti@cheerful.com and I’ll gladly tell you how to enroll in my next class. 

healthily yours,

 

Evelien

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning my Mess into a Message

But I just can't do a Plank!